To promote healing in the wake of the abuse crisis in the church, Archbishop J. Peter Sartain, along with auxiliary bishops Eusebio Elizondo and Daniel Mueggenborg, will lead a public prayer service at St. James Cathedral October 4 at 7 p.m. “It will be an opportunity for us bishops to express our sorrow and contrition for the scourge of sexual abuse in the Church,” the archbishop said, “and to pray for the healing of all those who have been victims, as well as the Church herself.”
October 4 will also mark the first day of an archdiocesan Novena of Prayer to Mary, Mother of the Church, to ask her intercession for the church. The novena will end the weekend of October 13–14.
Find the novena prayer and a flyer for the prayer service below. Sign up to receive daily emails for the novena.
- Pope laicizes two Chilean bishops for sexual abuse of minors
- Washington bishops laud state Supreme Court’s death penalty ruling
- Bishops lead Prayer of Repentance and Healing service
- Archbishop Sartain’s homily for the Prayer of Repentance and Healing service
- Bishop Elizondo, archdiocesan delegates attend V National Encuentro